Latest from the betting markets in the race for European Commission Presidency
Following the recent European elections, attention in Brussels now turns to who’ll get the EU’s top jobs.
And with intense debate surrounding the candidates for the European Commission’s next President, the European Gaming and Betting Association (EGBA) brings you the latest odds from the betting markets for the Spitzenkandidaten race.
The betting odds are displayed as ratios and forecasted percentage win chance. Also indicated are the changes to the betting odds compared to October 2018, when the betting market opened.
Betting odds – Next EU Commission President (Source: Ladbrokes)
- Manfred Weber (EPP) – 9/4 (30.8%). Slight decline from 2/1 (33.3%) in October 2018.
- Margrethe Vestager (ALDE) – 3/1 (25%). Improved from 20/1 (4.8%) in October 2018.
- Michel Barnier (EPP) – 3/1 (25%). Improved from 16/1 (5.9%) in October 2018.
- Frans Timmermans (S&D) – 10/1 (8.3%). Improved from 25/1 (3.8%) in October 2018.
- Leo Varadkar (EPP) – 10/1 (8.3%). Improved from 20/1 (4.8%) in October 2018.
- Other notable candidates: Dalia Grybauskaite – 16/1 (5.9%); Christine Lagarde (EPP) – 20/1 (4.8%); Guy Verhofstadt (ALDE) – 20/1 (4.8%); Mark Rutte 20/1 (4.8%); Angela Merkel 25/1 (3.8%).
“Weber is still favourite, but the shrewd money has been put on the EPP’s Michel Barnier and ALDE’s Margrethe Vestager, whose odds have both improved sharply.” – Matthew Shaddick, Head of Politics, Ladbrokes.
“It is a very tight race, with many political heavyweights in the running for the EU’s top job. Trends in the betting markets show a clear swing in favour of Vestager and Barnier.” – Maarten Haijer, Secretary General, European Gaming and Betting Association (EGBA).
You can follow the live betting odds here.