Betting markets heat up in race for European Commission President
Following the recent European elections, the political focus in Brussels is now firmly on who will get which of the EU’s top jobs.
With intense debate about who will become the much-coveted President of the next European Commission, the European Gaming and Betting Association (EGBA) brings you the latest odds from the betting markets for the Spitzenkandidaten race.
The betting odds are displayed as ratios and forecasted percentage win probability. Also indicated are the changes to the betting odds compared to October 2018, when the market opened.
Betting odds – Next EU Commission President (Source: Ladbrokes)
- Manfred Weber (EPP) – 2/1 (33.3%). Improved from 2/1 (33.3%) in October 2018.
- Michel Barnier (EPP) – 3/1 (25%). Improved from 16/1 (5.9%) in October 2018.
- Margrethe Vestager (ALDE) – 3/1 (25%). Improved from 20/1 (4.8%) in October 2018.
- Frans Timmermans (S&D) – 8/1 (11.1%). Improved from 25/1 (3.8%) in October 2018.
- Other notable candidates: Christine Lagarde (EPP) – 16/1 (5.9%); Kristalina Georgieva (EPP) – 16/1 (5.9%); Dalia Grybauskaite – 20/1 (4.8%); Guy Verhofstadt (ALDE) – 20/1 (4.8%); Helle Thorning Schmidt 20/1 (4.8%); Mark Rutte 20/1 (4.8%); Jan Zahradil 33/1 (2.9%).
“Weber is still the favourite, but the shrewd money has been put on the EPP’s Michel Barnier, whose odds have sharply improved.” – Matthew Shaddick, Head of Politics, Ladbrokes.
“This is a very tight race with four strong candidates jostling for the EU’s top job.” – Maarten Haijer, Secretary General, European Gaming and Betting Association (EGBA).
You can follow the live betting odds here.
Learn more about EGBA’s EU policy priorities for the 2019-2024 European Commission and Parliament.
The European Gaming and Betting Association (EGBA) is the Brussels-based trade association representing the leading online gaming and betting operators established, licensed and regulated within the EU, including bet365, BetClic, Betsson Group, Expekt, GVC Holdings PLC, Kindred Group Plc, MRG, and ZEAL Network. EGBA works together with national and EU authorities and other stakeholders towards a well-regulated online gambling market which provides a high level of consumer protection and takes into account the reality of the digital economy and consumer demand. Today, EGBA’s member companies together have more than 12 million customers in Europe.